Saint Polyptych Panels

Ateliper Cuypers

Oil on wood panels

1879

Renaissance artists seeking to contain multiple images within a single framework popularized the polytych, a set of three or more panels or compartments, side-by-side.  Such works were used as centerpiece adornments for walls, cabinetry and especially altars.  

These neo-gothic panels were inspired by 14th century Flemish altars and were acquired from Amsterdam's Sacred Heart Church.  They now can be viewed in the Basilica's Day Chapel.

Shrine Permanent Collection - Acquired 1989